Saturday, November 05, 2016

Balcombe, Slaugham, Cuckfeild and more

Just so the you can keep track of the walking, I have included a Map.
Its a Google Map. so enjoy.
Today was not a pleasant day, weather wise. 
Very overcast but not raining but just as cold. A high today of 7
So I needed to get out of the city and walk.
Slaugham area was the target, 
So first I walked to the London bridge station and caught a southern railway trip to Balcombe £8.50 return.
 First a Cumberland Sausage Roll for Breakfast.
Then Onto a Train, that shot through the City.
Oh the moving Picture is the Building I call home at the moment.
 
I caught the 8:45 out of London bridge and it put me into Balcombe at 9:45.
So In all a easy trip
So from Balcombe I Headed South to Cuckfield
 
With Beautiful Scenery
With Cottages I just to live in. They had large garden in the back with lots of small animals that I could hear as I walked passed them.
The trees were all turning. So they looked fantastic. All the browns and lots of leaves falling.
The only noise you can hear are the pheasants and distant cars. Not a lawn mower in sight or sound due to it being too wet.
And onto Cuckfeild which is no more then 10 houses on a corner, Oh and a Pub.
So off I went walking to Sloughgreen
Again No more then two-three Houses at an intersection
 But the scenery was great with lots of Pheasant about.
Then up Staplefield Lane to Staplefield
Staplefield has a Memorial in it heart that remembers the Great War
Of the 80 Men in the village that left only 25 returned.
The Village has never grown since.
 It is also the best kept Village in Sussex, and it proudly displays that awards at the Town Hall.
 So off I went Down more small Roads this time
to Slaugham
With great views occasionally
 But more narrow roads to walk
 But Signs were Clues I was getting close.
 With Potential future walks inviting me to go down.
But St Marys Chruch of Slaugham was my Target
With it's graveyard
Yes, I made it. This is a major target for the Trip to the UK.
I was there.
I made there just on Noon. Lunch, and I had packed smoke salmon pate and crackers, fresh mandarins and grapes, with hot tomato soup with a hint of basil.
Well that hit the spot. After that I checked out the graveyard in the hope of finding ancestors, but most of the old stones have lost the details. This church has been around since the 1700.
But not today, the grave yard is still active today, so a lot of new graves out the back.
I checked out the Village.
As most of the Census details say the lived at the Green. Slaugh has a large village green
 Looking across the green to St Mary's
To the Right
 To the Left
And the 8 Houses behind it
All but 1 was very Old. And they all had names. but none called the green.
So after the Church visit, I decide to head for Handcross to go to Nymans.
I walked up Coos Lane, Another dark narrow road.
And made it to Nymans gardens at about 2:00
(I had spent way to long in the graveyard.)
OH no, I had to be on the 15:22 out of Balcombe or pay an extra £15
so The view of the Grove was what I got as I bolted off for Balcome
 But the roads were Wider.. yah right.

 And more Sign telling me I was going the right way.
More Narrow Roads. These mind the walking Dangerous as much as scenic.

 St Marys at Balcombe turned up a meant I was 5 Minute Ahead of Schedule.
 Just as Well, trains here turn up on Time.
Just A very large loop of sorts to catch the 15:22 train as sunset is 16:27 and I didn't want to be walking in the countryside in the dark. At least this way I would be back before Borough market closes to get tomorrow's food treats. 
All up I walked 43,560 steps that day..... NEW record.

No comments: